Google analytics

Friday 13 April 2007

Friday training

Good day of training today. Run this morning, in my new Skins leggings, and what a difference they make. Legs felt fresh all the way on my run and at the right temperature, not overheating and not too cold. I highly recommend them www.skins.net
So was a nice easy paced run of 5 miles this morning. I then biked easy to work, legs feeling fresh, spinning with better pedal technique.
Lunchtime did 1600m swim in around 34 minutes. Nice and steady, pushed not too hard, but a good workout nonetheless, feeling it across my back and lats. Cycle back home after work. Good day of training, feeling strong. It helped reading Tom Holland's 12 week triathlete last night, saying how it's ok to train on sore legs, sore is ok. It's knowing the difference between good pain and bad pain. Obviously not pushing too hard on sore muscles, but sore is ok! It's when it turns to pain that is not just a result of a hard session and more of an injury-type of pain.

On another note, my race details came through for Tidworth Fast Twitch Triathlon on the 22nd April. Week on Sunday, not long to go. Some good triathletes doing this one. Trying out my new Tri-Suit, a Camaro Speed One, should be better for the swim as it has soft touch neoprene legs which will help keep me moe bouyant in the water, and should shave off some time on the swim. Also a bit warmer for this ime of year and the early starts, as it has short sleeves, and is a slightly thicker material than most other tri suits.


Note to self: work arms harder when running uphill. In fact, work arms a bit more on shorter runs at all times!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When does good pain (sore I assume) become bad pain (injury) - when it's too late probably. Surely muscles need to recover before you force them to work hard again?

Steve Birtwistle said...

If you overdo it! After a hard workout I balance it out by doing a light session. A lot of it is based on feel. Too many hard sessions and too much training on sore legs will eventually lead to injury.
It's about finding a balance between hard work, rest and active recovery.
I learned my lesson from last year when I had an overuse knee injury, trying to do too much too soon. And also I know now when I feel tired as opposed to just plain lethargic.
I rest when I am genuinely tired and low on energy, but if I'm just feeling plain old lethargic and tired then I know I'm still ok to put some effort in.
As I get further into training and racing I am becoming more tuned in to what my body is telling me and I am listening closely to what it says.
Rest is good!

Powered By Blogger