Google analytics

Saturday 17 January 2009

Boscombe 5k

Well, this is the first 5k I've done in about 3 years. The last one was round Poole Park and I found it hard going just to get round in under 25 mins! I've come a long way since then but I went backwards last night!!!
Well, ran down with James Gilfillan, about 3 miles before for a good warm up, and signed up at 7, pinned number on and jogged about and stretched and felt reasonably ok. Got near the front for the start and was under coach's orders to go hard from the start and see what happens. Well, I went hard, too bloody hard!! Got to half a mile at 5:30 pace and that was it, bang! I held on for 19' 52", went through halfway at 9' 26", and my god the last mile hurt like nothing before, just to hold my pace which had slowed significantly. Was good to finish and recovered well. Ran back with James after, so all in all a good run session. James did really well, finishing in 6th place, and seeing him before the turnaround he looked like he was running really strong.
So I'll take this as a big learning curve, and not go off like an idiot at the start! If I hadn't then who knows! But that's what it's all about. There's another one in 4 weeks times, and with more training and now an idea of how to pace myself then should see me run significantly better. But who knows, may get it all wrong again!!!
Results are here http://club.poolerunners.com/content/resultstable.aspx
Out for long bike today and long easy off-road run tomorrow. Hopefully the lactic acid has not built up too much in my sore legs!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger