Google analytics

Thursday 5 March 2009

Crisis of confidence

Well, it's been a funny old week so far, and life seems like a bit of a rollercoaster after all. I'm not one for cliches, but this seems somewhat appropriate. I have been on and off with training, mentally shattered and yet physically in great shape, until a little a soreness returned in my medial quad, which was the source of last year's long knee injury. So I have backed off the running, and biking is only light spinning. It's just me being over cautious but no bad thing because it's still 3 months to my first 'A' race and there is no point overdoing it at this stage.
So I have taken the opportunity to re-focus on my swimming.
Now, the swim camp I went to back in January was excellent and gave me lots to think about. Only problem, that was the problem!! I've spent the last 6 weeks over-analysing how I am swimming and actually not getting anywhere, just more and more frustrated that I'm not swimming right. Instead of just relaxing in the water and getting a 'feel' for it I've just been worrying and tense and stressed and as a result not getting very far!
That was all laid to rest last night, and this is the benefit of having an Olympic standard triathlete as your coach. Harry Wiltshire came to see me swim last night for some one on one coaching. And a result I have never swum that quick. It just felt great to have someone to take care of the counting, timing, and just telling you what to do. I could just get on and swim. And it turns out I'm doing pretty well, and only a couple of things that I need to improve to get me swimming a lot quicker. 1 hour of solid coaching and expet help was the tonic I needed and we're now back on track and off the rollercoaster...for the moment anyway!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger