Google analytics

Tuesday 16 June 2009

UK Ironman 70.3 2009 non race report

Well, after much deliberation and serious consideration I have decided I cannot bring myself to write a report about this race.
It is a great race to do, has everything in it that makes endurance sport the best in the world. Some of the world's best athletes are there taking on what without doubt is a tough tough race. Massive well done to everybody who got round that course, from Phil Graves who won with an absolutely astounding bike ride, to Iain Sainsbury who was last over the line inside 9 hours. Maximum respect to all and their supporters. Great event and I would like to think that I will be back taking part another year.
But for me, it was a bitterly disappointing day. I felt so flat, had nothing to give and could not raise my game to anywhere near what I have been doing in training. Trying to get my head round what happened, why it happened and then move on. So no race report, other than to say it still was a great day just being part of it all, huge thank you to all my family who were there supporting, I'm just sorry I let you down.
But on to the next one. Antwerp 70.3 on 2nd August. Before that I am going to get angry at Bournemouth International triathlon on 5th July and I may be doing Purbeck tri the following week. Attack, attack, attack!!!

3 comments:

M & P - T, H & E said...

You did not let anyone down - it was still a fantastic achievement. We know you were disappointed on the day but we are all very proud of you!

tracey said...

You silly sausage! We're all so proud of you. It wasn't what you wanted to do but remember you did knock 10 mins off your previous PB, something to be v proud of. Anyway it gives you an excuse to go back again and get under 5 hours. Love you !!

Steve Birtwistle said...

Thanks for the comments 'Team Birtwistle'!
Yes, in the cold light of day, not as bad as first thought, and gives me incentive to work harder!
Love you too!! xx

Powered By Blogger