Google analytics

Sunday 5 July 2009

Bournemouth triathlon 2009

What an absolute horrorshow of a swim! My god, I have never been so bumped about by waves, or lost my sight, goggles filled with water, swallowed half the ocean, felt sick, went off course, and generally just wanted to get out of there!! 30 minutes for 1500m, how awful is that. It took a massive effort to dig deep and attack the bike, and going up Richmond Hill at the start was a nightmare as I couldn't get my feet in my shoes,. At this point I watned to get off. In fact I had to to put my shoes on. At this point my wife was taking photos and if it wasn't for a bit of encouragement and a lot of swearing from me, I would have gladly got in the car and gone home. But I cursed and swore and powered up the rest of the hill in the big ring, 3rd gear. I don't think anyone would have gone up there quicker today, and that was it I was back in business and posted a quick bike. And that was followed by a very solid run. Somewhere in the top 20, around 2:15 overall, an Olympic distance PB by 6 minutes.

But my god, that swim!!!!
Results posted later and will have some photos too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, Just been reading what you have written for Bournemouth 2007 and it's inspiring how far you have come and also how much harder you are on yourself now. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Steve

I bike along the sea front every day to work and today was the worst morning I have seen for a while. Not consistent waves so difficult to swim in. Also couple of guys got pulled out so 30mins does not seem so bad.

All the best

Anonymous said...

The swim sounds horrific! Glad you survived it though and still managed to get a good time and a good finish! Well done.

N xxxx

Steve Birtwistle said...

cheers all!
Was nice to get back out and race like my old self, bit more of a smile on my face, once I had got out of the water and given myself a talking too.
All experience that I can take to the next one!

Powered By Blogger