Google analytics

Tuesday 27 October 2009

Sandy Balls Duathlon 2009

Sandy Balls Duathlon 2009 Race report, October 25th.

Saturday, rain and wind, and I was not feeling that positive about an off-road run in the cold and wet. But Sunday morning arrived, a bit earlier than expected even thought the clocks went back, and we turned up fresh and in good spirits in the autumn sunshine. Got registered, collecting number off Mr. Gilfillan who was helping out on the day. And he was out marshalling, giving a good amount of abuse as expected, but surprisingly not quite as bad as I thought!!
So we were led like horses to water down to the start, at the bottom of the campsite, by the river and a loud shout of off took all by surprise and it was like a stampeding herd back up from whence we came! Hilly would be about right and straight into uphill trail and into the campsite. The first mile was generally uphill and to a quarter mile of downhill the first left turn, then uphill for quarter of a mile and …..You get the picture!! 5.5k or thereabouts of up and down and back into transition. I had a mixed run, did not feel great but I was still keeping up with the pace, although a good couple of minutes down from the real fast guys up at the front.
Onto the bike, pretty smooth changeover and into my riding. Felt reasonably ok, but not sure if I was fast or not, as had no gadgets for this race, just went on feel. Course is a straight out and back with about a mile loop as the turnaround. And how much of a crosswind on the way back! I had chosen to ride a disc and it took some holding on! With about 6k of 20k to go I had caught and passed both Emma Dews and Will Newberry within a couple of seconds of each other and was making reasonably decent progress but tough going into a full on headwind. Got into T2 ok, in about 10th place( had a quick count up of bikes!) and set off with cramping calves for a 5k second run. Pushed on and gritted my teeth and thankfully ran it off. Shouts of come on Will behind me after nearly a mile made me pick up my running and first Will past me and then Emma a minute or so later. I tracked as best I could but they both got away with half of the second run done and I managed to hang on for a very pleasing 14th place overall in a time of 1’ 19” and something. I worked hard which was the main thing and it was a real confidence booster to take into my winter training. Lee Piercy was in a class of his own out front and dominated by over 3 minutes from the rest of the top 10 which was full of quality athletes. Well done Lee. I’m sure he’ll be up the front at Ballbuster duathlon in November. Emma Dews won the women’s race in 1’ 18’ something and Ceris Styler(James Gilfillan’s sister) was 2nd in 1’ 23”, watch out for her next season!
Yet again, Racenewforest, led by Richard and Jo Iles, put on a great race, was a really nice atmosphere, good mix of athletes there and always a pleasure to be amongst it all. And they like to make even a short duathlon tough!! I highly recommend their races to anyone out there, from pros to just starting out. Great fun!!
Back to training this week, nice hour run yesterday and on treadmill for a bit of run analysis with Coach Harry tonight. Now to find out just how bad my running really is!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger