Google analytics

Friday 23 July 2010

Ironman Journey continues

OK, well, it's not gone according to plan. But things seldom do. That's just life and the unpredictability of it all.
We flew out to Roth, great flight( and I do NOT do airplanes at all well!) and we picked up car and had a lovely drive to Ingolstadt. Lovely hotel, very helpful. Nice room, refreshed, met parents, ate out, very good food. Then got to hotel for sleep, and couldn't. Unbearably hot. And so I was wide awake all night. Tired the next day but ok with food, and I drove up to register with the family and we ate out and spent a nice day together and then back to hotel for eating and sleeping. Then Saturday I got bike into transition, only to be stopped with acrack in my helment. So off I rode to the bike shop, new helmet purchased and back again. Bike in, no problems. At this point, feeling a bit tired and snotty, but ok, just thought part of the tapering. But then the evening wore on and I was getting worse, started heating up and feeling very grumpy. Very very tired and got to bed early. Then 2am race morning, hot and cold, shivering with sweats and just absolutely no way I could race. Drove to the race start, handed in timing chip, collected my bike and then went back to hotel. That was it. Race over before I even got wetsuit on.
Disappointing, but it never sunk in as I was feeling so rotten. Now back in the UK and had time to reflect. I have laryngitis, and am taking anti-biotics, loads of co-codamol and have been sleeping and drinking as much as possible. Feeling much better, but another 2-3 days required before I even put on a pair of run shoes. I have managed to find another long distance race on the 8th August which I shall be able to do. And I will just go and smash it and have a good ol time!! See what I can do.
Not the way in which I expected to do my first 'Ironman' race, but hopefully in 3 weeks' time I will be one!
Watch this space!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NONO!!!

Gutted for you after all of your hard work. Really hope you are on the mend soon and back on track.

Nikki xxx

Steve Birtwistle said...

Hi Nikki

Thanks for your message. That's just the wya t goes sometimes! Can't be helped. But loads better now, and have found another race, so back to raining this week and will see what I can do on the 8th August.
Hope all is going well for you and you are enjoying the summer sun!
Steve x

Powered By Blogger