Google analytics

Friday 28 January 2011

Arms falling off

For the first time since I can remember I took myself off down the gym last night and thought I would try one of the workouts I give to some of my clients for upper body strength endurance training.
Ouch!! I forgot how tough these workouts are if you do them to the right intensity and how much of a buzz you get after doing them. Really good fun. 25 minutes of intense hard effort. Awesome! Today I have no arms.
Here's the set.

3 x 12 reps with 60 secs rest.
Superset Bench Press and Single Arm Row
120 secs rest
Superset Chest Flyes and Bent Over Row
120 secs rest
Superset Tricep Dips and Barbell curls

Rest for 3 minutes.
Drop weight and then repeat as circuit for 1 set, 10 reps for each exercise, no rest between exercises. Basically 60 reps without rest.

This hits just about everything. Next time I would add in 4th superset with a back exercise and overhead press, to work back and shoulders.

It is quite obvious for me that my back is stronger than front, which I am pleased with as it shows I am using the right muscles for swimming freestyle. More arm strength needed, but I am aware that I don't want to bulk up too much as this will add unecessary weight for racing. However, some extra upper body and arm strength would help all round fitness and probably make swiming a little more efficient.
As the foot is still out of action I shall be doing a few more of these type of wokouts as there is nothing better to get your metabolism firing. And really good fun!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger