Google analytics

Monday 11 April 2011

Tri Purbeck Duathlon

Beautiful day in the Forest for this race. I was in some doubt as whether to do it as I am not in any sort of shape at the moment. But I rode over and felt alright so I decided to sign up for a go, and treat it as a good training session. I really wanted to see how my run legs were shaping up and how my ankle would respond to 6 miles of off-road running, with 2 of them being after an off-road bike.
Start came and I toddled off and got into a small second group of 5 behind a front group of the same number. After 1 mile I felt reasonable and stretched out a bit and started making ground on the lead group, pulling away a little from the group I was in. At mile 2 my hips and calves decided they weren't playing and I felt very stiff. Just not able to run at pace. So I settled into a gentler pace and got into transition feeling ok, a little tired but looking forward to a nice easy bike. How wrong I was.
Now I don't really do off-road and I only have a hybrid bike, and with road tyres, so I was not really prepared for what lay ahead. For a 12 mile off-road bike I had a guess at about 45 minutes, as I thought it was mostly trail riding. Well, yes, it was trails but my bike was not equipped for the terrain and I had a nightmare! On the sandy sections I was all over the place, had to get off and walk on a few occasions, very slow on the turns, and the downhills I went down like someone learning to ride a bike for the first time. There was one steep climb which would not normally be a problem, however, I just couldn't get any grip on the gravel and as I neared the top for each of the 4 laps I had to get off and walk up the last little section! How embarrassing, as people looked on and must have thought, he's not very good!!! Actually the last time I went up I did manage to get up all the way, miracle! My right cleat broke as well on my shoe and I spent the second half of the bike with only one shoe clipped in. But I still went round with a smile on my face and chatting away to fellow racers en route and reminded myself that I was only here to see how my legs were.
I felt alright biking round, but to be honest off-road riding is not for me, and I can quite happily say that I will save myself lots of money as I do not want a proper off-road bike! Not the most enjoyable experience, and I bobbled into transition feeling that I had done an extra lap I was that far down the field, and wanted to throw my bike over a hedge!
I set off on the second run feeling relaxed and in good shape apart from ridiculously tight calves which were on the verge of cramping but never did. I finished well and felt good riding home. As I write this the following morning, I'm now pleased that my ankle is holding up to an off-road run, and I had a quick nosy at the results. My times are well down on what I would have normally done in a race, but that's ok. My bike looks dreadful! Not the normal position for me. Fully fit and strong and with the right bike, I would have been there and thereabouts but that's not where I'm at and I am very happy that I can resume some quality training now, and once back into my running I should improve quickly. I've got good base fitness and strength as my second run time shows.
Results are here
http://www.tripurbeck.com/blog/provisional-results-for-the-sika-duathlon-10th-aprill-2011/

Huge well done and thank you to Fran and Ade Bungay and their team at Tri Purbeck, they put on a great event and hopefully this will become a regular fixture in the event calendar in the area. I won't be participating in another off-raod event, not for me. However, I highly recommend it for anyone, the run is good underfoot for off-road and the bike is technical and challenging( even more so if you do it onthe wrong bike!). The other good thing for me is that I managed to stay upright and didn't fall off!!! My bike handling must have improved!
And well done to all Forest Fitters who were there racing, Barry, Rik, Kat, Gail. See you guys next week when we are back to lifting heavy logs!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger