Google analytics

Thursday 14 July 2011

Not that quick

Disappointed. 10 mile TT last night and I was feeling ok. I went as hard as I could but it just felt a bit slow. Couldn't push my legs any harder and that was that. 21' 31" on the night, 4th behind James Gilfillan, Terry Icke and Gary Dighton. But I was 30 seconds back on Gary( 20' 58") and a 40 seconds back on Terry. This left me a bit confused as to how I rode, as there have been a couple of seconds between the three of us over the last few rides. Whether I was tired from more training and having done circuits and run at lunchtime, maybe my legs were a bit fatigued. Dunno, just disappointed. I was held up at a roundablut and lost momentum but that's only a 10 second loss, so no excuses. I went as hard as I could, just not good enough on the night. Back to the drawing board!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog Steve, keep it up and good luck with future races.

I recently completed the Norwich Triathlon in 3 hrs 25 mins (I was fairly happy given that my training schedule hadn't been fantastic). I really interested in entering Outlaw next year (with the aim of survival). Do you think this is realistic for someone so inexperienced?

Thanks
Matt

Steve Birtwistle said...

HI Matt

Thanks for leaving a message.

Well done on completing Norwich triathlon. My first objective when doing any kind of race is to finish!

Outlaw tri. Great race, and I hope it is hear to stay on the evnt fixture list, as it's a great venue.
I might go back there myself next year, as last year I raced when ill, and capitulated big time on the run. That said, learned a lot, as we all do from each race we do.
If you want to do it, thn go for it, set your stall out. I would basically just focus on lots of base endurance training, so get in as much riding and slow running as you can. The earlier you start the better. As well, keep doing some regular short interval type training sets as well, maybe one turbo/time trial type effort on the bike a week, just keep it short, and an interval run as well, again 20-30 minutes of hard effort. Thie will give you some strength as well, which is hugely important and often overlooked in any long distance endurance event.
Don't do too many other races though next year if you do decide to do Outlaw, choose your training races wisely, maybe 2 Hafl Ironman races, an Olympic and a couple of sprints. No more. Just for the experience more than anything.
If you need any more help then feel free to leave a message.
Also, try and find a training partner, or someone else you can bounce ideas off, it really does help.
All the Best
Steve

Powered By Blogger